Preventing the spread of COVID-19How does it affect freight transportation?
The first cases of COVID-19 were reported nearly a year ago, and though the measures every country has established are different, they have all aimed towards reducing the contagions.
All along with confinement, there has been a priority: to keep supply chains working. With that in mind, governments included freight transportation as an essential business and the International Transportation Forum published a report with policies that should be taken into consideration amidst the proclamations of new measures due to the high contagion rate.
These policies are:
1. Protect transport workers
Security of the people working in the road transport sector is crucial to keep the essential businesses working. National and international authorities have issued detailed guidelines where they recommend the use of personal protective equipment, the best hygiene practices, social distancing, and the procedure to follow in case someone has gotten COVID-19. To improve in this subject, it’s important to learn from the lessons acquired in regions where the pandemic waves have hit first.
2. Relax restrictions on the operation of heavy goods vehicles
In order to maintain essential commodities flowing, governments have relaxed the operating rules for trucks.
3. Keep borders open for freight with “Green Lanes”
A lot of countries have chosen to close frontiers to contain the coronavirus dispersion and waiting times have reached unprecedented levels. Establishing green lines dedicated to freight truck transit could help to optimize supply chains.
4. Exempt transport workers in international freight transport from entry prohibitions
The people involved in freight transport should be excluded from mobility restrictions. Some countries banned foreign freight trucks, especially if they came from a higher risk country. In other countries, it’s only possible to unload the cargo on the frontier, and there are some cases where they can get into the territory, but only for a limited amount of time.
Safety recommendations in North America to reduce contagions of COVID-19
At the beginning of the pandemic, we made a revision of the actions that can reduce contagions of COVID-19 and the measures taken by the U.S., Canada, and Mexico governments. You can read it here.
This list contains the measures that all three countries established, and we will adjust it in the following weeks:
- Routes work normally with hygiene measures to drivers, like glasses, face masks, and gloves.
- The truck cabin should be disinfected after each trip with water and soap.
- Drivers should keep in hand antibacterial gel the whole trip.
- There are no restrictions on loads on frontiers.
- Some warehouses are closed and some others have established additional security measures.
- There’s no need to show a negative test for COVID-19, for the moment.
* This information is subject to change without prior notice.
MEXICOM LOGISTICS IS A 3PL DEDICATED TO OFFERING RELIABLE TERRESTRIAL FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION AT AFFORDABLE PRICES THROUGH NORTH AMERICA. FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR SERVICES HERE.
IF YOU ARE A CARRIER…
As a 3PL, Mexicom Logistics can have more route options for you. As freight transportations specialists throughout Canada, the U.S., and Mexico, we can give you loads that can adjust to your needs and preferences.
Besides, we have prepared special benefits for you, like our Quick Payment Options.