Freight shipping trends you should keep an eye on
A year after the COVID-19 crisis, what can we expect in the near future on terrestrial freight shipping?
There are two main trends to look out of: technology and sustainability. Both topics are related and their impact can only be seen on the horizon.
Tech: automatization and autonomy
The Internet of things (IoT) has gained ground in every industry for the last couple of years, and freight shipping is no different. Soon, there will be more trucks with new hardware and software on the driving system of the truck and on the trailer. Smart trailers will be on every road and will be able to register the weight, volume, and distribution of freight, also they should be able to regulate the temps inside.
Big Data will also be used to give specialized recommendations to customers and follow in real-time the merchandise transit. Besides, Artificial Intelligence (IA) could be used on a lot of things, like:
- Keep an eye on weather conditions.
- Speed control.
- Reduce traffic jams.
- Obstacle detection.
- Road surveillance and real-time advice to drivers.
- Engine check-up.
- Reduce transportation emissions.
- Optimize costs.
Another trend that could be more common is the use of self-driving trucks and the use of drones or robots to deliver packages and loads.
Sustainability: one in hand with resilience
Taking care of the environment is the one trend that should not be postponed, that’s why companies have been developing more sustainable and resilient supply chains (you can read more about this here).
Freight shipping has a big impact on pollution, which is the main reason for us to be aware of this topic and develop accurate supply chains that are sustainable and resilient to unexpected situations, like the pandemic of COVID-19.
Some other changes on this topic that we could see in the industry are:
- The use of eco-friendly packaging materials (biodegradable, compostable, reusable, and recyclable).
- Loads optimizations.
- The exploitation of routes.
- Eco-friendly vehicles.
MEXICOM LOGISTICS IS A 3PL DEDICATED TO OFFERING RELIABLE TERRESTRIAL FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION AT AFFORDABLE PRICES THROUGH NORTH AMERICA. FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR SERVICES HERE.
ADVANTAGES OF WORKING WITH A 3PL LIKE MEXICOM LOGISTICS:
- Time and personnel administration. When you have a logistics supplier, you can focus on other things, like sales or product development.
- Cost reduction. We have better deals with suppliers, therefore, they can offer you better pricing adapted to your load’s volume and flow.
- Adaptability. They can easily adjust to changes in flow and volume of loads.
- Speed and coverage. Since you are using the supplier’s carrier network, you can enjoy faster deliveries within their territory.
- Mitigate risks. Delays can happen for several reasons. When this happens, your 3PL can adjust the route to deliver the load as soon as possible.
- International support. If you have a business in more than one country, your 3PL can take charge of procedures and paperwork needed in each one of them.
IF YOU ARE A CARRIER…
As a 3PL, Mexicom Logistics can have more route options for you. As freight transportations specialists throughout Canada, the U.S., and Mexico, we can give you loads that can adjust to your needs and preferences.