Guide to the partial truckload services between Mexico, the United States and Canada
This guide will help you understand how the partial truckload service works between Mexico, the United States, and Canada.
We address the following topics:
- What is partial truckload freight shipping?
- Load size and weight specifications for partial load transport.
- Advantages of partial load freight shipping
- On what shipping lanes is the partial truckload service available in North America?
- Partial truckload shipping process between the United States or Canada and Mexico
- Partial truckload shipping process between Canada and the USA
- The successful transloading of goods being transported in Partial truckload service
- Types of transport equipment available for Partial truckload freight services
- What information should I provide when requesting a quote for a Partial truckload freight service? How do I know if my cargo can be shipped using Partial truckload transportation mode?
WHAT IS Partial truckload FREIGHT SHIPPING?
Partial truckload transportation is the ideal and most economical transportation option for larger loads that do not require to use all the space available on a full trailer. It is more affordable than the Full Truckload freight service because the customer doesn’t pay for a dedicated trailer. In a partial truckload mode, customers have the opportunity to ship larger loads than allowed in a Less Than Truckload transport service.
WEIGHT AND SIZE SPECIFICATIONS FOR PARTIAL TRUCKLOAD FREIGHT
The partial truckload transport mode is available for loads that have the following characteristics:
The NUMBER OF PALLETS AND DIMENSIONS FOR PARTIAL TRUCKLOADS:
Greater than 12 linear feet (6 standard size pallets).
Less than 30 linear feet.
MAXIMUM AND MINIMUM WEIGHT FOR PARTIAL TRUCKLOADS:
Maximum total weight is 25,000 pounds.
Minimum total weight 1000lbs
Note: The maximum weight per pallet must be 5500 lbs.
THE ADVANTAGE OF PARTIAL TRUCKLOAD FREIGHT SERVICES: SUBSTANTIAL SAVINGS
If the load occupies between 12-30 linear feet, choosing the partial truckload mode of freight transport, either in the complete route or in part of the international transport route, can save you up to 50% of the transport cost; compared to moving merchandise in FTL mode throughout the whole transportation route.
On what shipping lanes is the partial truckload service available in North America?
Mexicom Logistics offers partial truckload transportation options on all its international routes between Mexico, the United States and Canada.
Partial truckload shipping process between the United States or Canada and Mexico
In North America, the partial truckload freight service is available only in the United States and Canada. However, at Mexicom Logistics, we can offer you options so that you can enjoy the low costs of partial load transportation in all your door-to-door shipments internationally between Canada, the United States and Mexico, even if the partial service is not available in all of North America.
How do we do it?
We combine two modes of transportation to offer you the advantages and savings of partial truckload transportation (even on trips to and from Mexico). In the following way:
- We transport the American / Canadian portion in Partial truckload mode. Partial truckload freight transport can be 50% cheaper than FTL mode.
- We transfer the cargo in Laredo TX in our facilities, to a trailer that offers FTL service.
- We transport cargo in FTL mode in Mexico, since the partial truckload mode of transportation is not available in Mexico.
Partial truckload shipping process between the United States and Canada
Partial truckload freight services are available in all states and provinces in the United States and Canada. If you need ground freight transportation between any point in the United States and Canada, we can offer you door-to-door transportation in partial truckload mode.
The most frequent routes and those with the greatest availability of equipment for partial truckload transport are:
East Coast of the United States
- New Hampshire
- New York
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Southern United States
Western United States
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
The partial truckload service can also be provided in the rest of the states and provinces of the United States but the availability of equipment decreases, so the time to confirm availability will increase a couple of days.
The successful transloading of goods that are transported in partial truckload mode
In the context of ground transportation from Canada and/or the United States to Mexico, transloading is the process of transferring goods and materials from one trailer to another at the border.
This means that during the border crossing, cargo will be transferred from the US trailer to a Mexican trailer. The Mexican trailer will complete the transportation of the merchandise to the final destination.
Note: In the world of logistics and supply chain, the word “transloading” can also refer to the process of ‘transferring a shipment from one mode of transport to another’. For example, when a shipment requires to be transported by truck to an airport, then by plane abroad.
TYPES OF TRANSLOADING
- Transloading palletized goods from a Dry van to another Dry Van
- Transloading unpalletized goods from a Dry van to another Dry Van
- Transloading palletized goods from a Flatbed to another Flatbed using a forklift
- Transloading unpalletized goods from a Flatbed to another Flatbed using a crane
To avoid damage to merchandise, it is very important that carriers follow best cargo handling practices, such as:
- Employ experienced personnel who use protective and safety equipment.
- Use proven specialized lifting equipment such as forklifts, cranes, cables, slings, hooks, etc.
- Report defects of any deficiency or apparent danger that may affect the safety of unloading or loading operations
In addition, it is very important that the shipper uses suitable packaging capable of withstanding the various dynamics and static forces on the road.
When shipping partial truckloads from Canada or the United States to Mexico, make sure that:
- Your freight forwarder specializes in the Mexico-United States border crossing.
- Your forwarder has an office for transloading and cross-docking in Laredo, so they can take care of these processes themselves.
- Your freight forwarder has an experienced team that handles your cargo carefully and follows best practices to avoid damaging your merchandise.
Mexicom Logistics offers efficient and reliable partial cargo transshipment services, we cross more than 55 thousand cargoes across the US-Mexico border.
Types of equipment available for partial truckload freight shipping services
For international partial truckload shipments between Mexico, the United States and Canada, both 48 or 53ft Dry Vans can be used, as well as 48 or 53ft flatbeds
Dry Vans: Recommended for delicate loads or that need to be transported in a closed box, to protect them from external climatic conditions.
- Flatbeds: For loads with irregular shapes, which require loading from one of the sides or from the top and that do not require travelling in a closed space.
You may be interested in our post: What kind of loads are regularly transported on flatbeds?
From Quebec / Ontario to Mexico, reefers are available to transport cargo in partial truckload mode.
- Reefers or temperature-controlled or trucks: For loads that must be kept at specific temperatures, such as frozen or fresh products.
WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD I PROVIDE WHEN REQUESTING A QUOTE FOR PARTIAL TRUCKLOAD FREIGHT SHIPPING SERVICE? How do I know if my cargo can travel in partial truckload mode?
To determine if your cargo can be transported through a partial truckload service, to Mexico, the United States, and Canada, the following information is required:
- The type of merchandise to be transported.
- Number of pallets
- Dimensions of each pallet.
- Weight per pallet.
- The route: The country, city and postal code at the pick-up and the delivery address.